Once children are in elementary school, they are more familiar with the concept of accidental ingestion of a poison. But kids have a natural curiosity, and they often don’t think about the consequences of their actions. Children may think they know what something is …Click here to continue reading
Spring break is approaching, and a family trip might be in your future. Whether it’s a short trip to visit grandparents or a trip across the country, traveling with children sometimes can be challenging. If you’re planning a family trip, consider choosing a destination where …Click here to continue reading
Accidental ingestions can occur anywhere — at home, at a family member’s house, in the park, at the mall — wherever you travel. One statewide resource that is constant is the Wisconsin Poison Center.
Program the number of the Wisconsin Poison Center in your cell phone: (800) 222-1222. Wherever you go, this toll-free number will connect you to certified poison specialists for …Click here to continue reading
While it may seem easier and more efficient to do a Google search and find out how to treat various ingestions, oftentimes you could be receiving the wrong information. Most people don’t have the medical knowledge to sift through the vast array of resources online, …Click here to continue reading
The Greater Milwaukee Auto Show is in town. For many families, this is a fun annual event — a way to experience, see and touch all of the latest makes and models of shiny new cars.
Kids who aren’t school-age yet are curious and can get into anything! While there are lots of dangerous items that can be appealing to a small child, here are the top five potential …Click here to continue reading
This being Wisconsin, we still have more cold weather ahead of us, so it’s important for parents to understand the risk of frostbite during Winter weather.
Frostbite occurs when the skin and underlying tissues freeze. Even a short period of the skin being exposed to subfreezing temperatures can have long-term consequences such …Click here to continue reading
Powerful, rare-earth (neodymium) magnets can cause serious injury and death if swallowed. They are up to ten times more powerful than traditional magnets and attract each other even if they are in different areas of the digestive system.
In the past, swallowed magnets generally could be treated with a wait-and-see approach, relying on them to pass without incident. With the proliferation of these small rare-earth …Click here to continue reading
Did you know that each winter 24,500 kids are injured in sledding accidents? About 3,000 of these kids suffer a serious brain injury as a result. Winter activities don’t have to be dangerous or have tragic consequences if safety is a top priority.
Following these tips to keep your kids safe while playing in the snow: …Click here to continue reading
We take time when we purchase our children’s shoes and clothes to make sure they fit correctly. We would never dress them in adult clothing. But do we take the same amount of time checking to make sure that the life saving system in our car (the seat belt) fits them correctly? We should — because it could save your child’s life.
Making the decision to put your child into the seat belt is a huge decision and you want to make sure that it fits before you use it without a booster seat. Seat belts are designed to …Click here to continue reading