Kids who aren’t school-age yet are curious and can get into anything! While there are lots of dangerous items that can be appealing to a small child, here are the top five potential …Continue reading →
Powerful, rare-earth (neodymium) magnets can cause serious injury and death if swallowed. They are up to ten times more powerful than traditional magnets and attract each other even if they are in different areas of the digestive system.
In the past, swallowed magnets generally could be treated with a wait-and-see approach, relying on them to pass without incident. With the proliferation of these small rare-earth magnets, that is not always the case.
X-rays are needed to confirm that a child has swallowed magnets and to identify their location. A critical step is to determine how many magnets were swallowed. A single …Continue reading →
Wisconsin Poison Center wants parents to be aware of a new trend spreading across Wisconsin that’s all trick and no treat.
Suckers and toffee are being melted down purposely and laced with crushed prescription drugs or powdered illicit drugs. In particular, stimulants such as amphetamines have been discovered in these “treats.”
The intent is to mimic an ordinary candy sucker so it’s hard to detect. Lacing candy …Continue reading →
Severe storms — such as tornados and thunderstorms — strike most often in Wisconsin during the summer months when temperatures are warm. It’s important to know the danger isn’t over once the storm blows through — especially if power is knocked out.
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is the most common poison-related cause of hospitalization and death in the wake of …Continue reading →
If your kids enjoy playing outside, they could get into some dangerous situations with outdoor poisons. Many family garages and sheds are home to lawn chemicals, fluids, paints and pesticides.
Here are some basic tips to help keep your children — and yourself — safe: …Continue reading →
They’re fruity, they taste good and they give you that boost of energy you need to get through the day. But energy drinks can be harmful. Toxicologists at Wisconsin Poison Center urge parents to use caution and common sense when using energy drink products — for yourself and especially for your children.
From Jan. 1 through April 30 this year, poison centers across the country received reports of 1,060 individual cases …Continue reading →
With more teenagers home during the summer, be on the lookout for the Cinnamon Challenge. It begins with a teen being dared to swallow a spoonful of ground cinnamon without drinking water.
The cinnamon coats and dries the mouth and throat, causing gagging, vomiting, coughing, choking and throat irritation. People with asthma or other respiratory conditions are at greater risk of having …Continue reading →
A great way to get rid of outdated or unneeded medications, keep dangerous drugs out of the hands of our children and protect our drinking water is to participate in Medicine Collection Day on Saturday, April 27.
In 2012, 48 percent of calls to Wisconsin Poison Center involved either prescription or over-the-counter medications. By bringing these drugs in, you will help keep them from getting into the wrong hands or our local water supply. Remember, never flush or pour unused …Continue reading →
Convenient and easy to use, detergent packets like Tide Pods, All mighty pacs or Purex Ultrapacks often are found in homes with young children. The packets are designed to dissolve quickly when exposed to water in the washing machine. They are colorful and squishy — some even look like candy or a toy — making them attractive to kids.
Poison centers receive many calls each year about children getting into laundry …Continue reading →