TV or furniture tip-over accidents can occur in the blink of an eye. They can have long-lasting — even deadly — consequences. Please watch the video above to learn how you can keep your child safe and out of harms way. Remember:
- Keep the fun stuff such as remotes, toys and decorations on a low shelf so children aren’t encouraged to climb up for them.
- If your family purchases a new TV, mount the flat screen securely to the wall.
- Place old, bulky TVs on low, stable pieces of furniture.
- Secure furniture such as dressers, book shelves and entertainment centers to the wall using brackets, braces or wall straps.
– Lisa Klindt Simpson, coordinator, Safe Kids Southeast Wisconsin
A member of Safe Kids Worldwide, Safe Kids Southeast Wisconsin works to prevent accidental injuries, the leading cause of death among children 14 years of age and younger. The four-county (Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Washington, Waukesha) coalition combines the expertise of community agencies and individuals to prevent childhood injuries through collaboration, education, policy and advocacy initiatives. Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin is its lead agency.