At Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin’s monthly volunteer orientation, we ask everyone what brought them to us. Their answers will touch your heart, make you proud and strengthen your spirit of humanity. Who couldn’t use a little dose of that right now?
Here, our volunteers tell us why they have chosen to share their time with the kids at Children’s Hospital.
Because I care.
- “Rocking the babies soothes my soul. It provides perspective on life that we too often take for granted.” Mary
- “I want to give the children and their families the best experience ever.” Jason
- “I love kids! Their strength is unbelievable.” Lucy
Because I want to make a difference.
- “When choosing what I wanted to do with my life, I chose to make a difference. I am just starting college and I thought helping kids was a pretty good place to start.” Morgan
- “I love helping others in any way that I can. I want to help these kids feel better and have fun … Someday I hope to be a pediatric doctor.” Jenna
- “I was initially interested in volunteering because my future major is nursing and I thought it would be nice to get experience. After starting, I realized how much I enjoy the children and how much more I am getting out of this experience.” Chloe
Because I want to give back.
- “I am here to give back to the community that helped me as a child.” Abbie
- “I started out as a volunteer to pay back kindness shown to my mother when I was a young child. My mother was a nurse. After she got sick and was hospitalized, we had little income and no more medical insurance. We had to rely on family and friends for everything. The doctors and nurses from the hospital where my mother worked volunteered their time and services to care for my mother. After she died, we were never sent a bill. I will never forget the kindness of those wonderful people. I started volunteering to give a nurse or another caregiver a break or time to get their work done … I stay because of all the wonderful, caring people and kids I have had the privilege to get to know.” Linda
- “I have been fortunate in my life – there is no time like the present to give back.” Eric
- “I have the greatest ‘job’ at Children’s.” Pat
If you are a caring person who wants to make a difference and give back to the community, consider volunteering at Children’s Hospital. We need you. But, more importantly, the kids need you.
Learn more about becoming a volunteer here.
Read more blog posts by Eileen Clark, MSM, CCLS.